Labels:

Butterbeer


I have to admit - I have wanted to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter because of the butterbeer. Well, that and the Harry Potter Forbidden Journey ride. And the quaint shops and curios. Ok - maybe I like everything about it - except the long queues. 

Anyway, we couldn't justify the $80 ticket (a bit cheaper since we are Florida residents) and $15 parking fee just to satisfy our Butterbeer cravings, so I had to improvise. In essence, I was desperate - I have to find a way to get my hands on Butterbeer without the hefty price tag.

For non-Harry Potter fans, Butterbeer is a beverage that, according to the book, tastes like butterscotch. It has a slight "wizard alcohol" content that can make house elves drunk (so Dobby and Kreacher - you better not be trying this). But don't worry - the Butterbeer that we regular people enjoy is non-alcoholic.

As I have mentioned in my previous H.P. post, you can get it for $12 in a commemorative stein, or $3.99 (I think - can't really remember how much we paid) in a regular cup. But the commemorative stein could be a good investment - it holds a bit more than the regular cup, and you can bring it with you on your next visit to the park. They will fill it for the price of a regular cup. As for our steins, we haven't gone to the theme park enough to get my money back haha.

A website sells these steins for $13.95! Ridiculous!
So, I have scoured the web and tried several Butterbeer recipes, and this is the closest I can get. In fact, I think it is almost perfect. Of course, I have to give credit where credit is due, so I have to mention that I got this recipe from the Orlando United website. They are not claiming that their recipe is an exact copy, but only very close to the real thing. And believe me, after trying it, I can say that it DOES taste so much like those you can buy from the theme park!

By the way, as an update to my previous H.P. post, I WAS able to buy Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans on my recent visit. But alas! It came with every flavor, but Vomit! And I have to say, the Soap flavor was pretty nasty. 

Photo Credit


What you need:
Cream Soda

2 bottles IBC Cream Soda
1 tablespoon Butterscotch Syrup (or more, if desired)


For the top foam: 

1/3 cup Heavy Cream
2 tablespoons regular sugar
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


What to do: 

Combine all the foam ingredients in a bowl and whip until stiff peaks form (sort of like icing consistency). Set aside.

Pour the cream soda and butterscotch syrup in a stein. Mix well, or until syrup dissolves. Top with a dollop of foam. Let foam rest on top of the drink for about 20 seconds for the soda to carbonate it. Enjoy!


Tips, Tricks and Tweaks: 

1. Don't worry if your foam doesn't turn out the consistency you like. Trust me, if you put it on top of the drink, only the taste matters!
2. The foam would actually stay good for a week or two - refrigerated, of course!
3. You could use any kind of cream soda - but IBC works best!
4. Tweak the amount of butterscotch syrup. Butterbeer from the theme park is very sweet - if you want that same taste, add more syrup!



2 comments:

peachkins said...

Interesting!Gusto ko nung Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans.....waaaahhh

Alma said...

saw your post on BlogHer.

i LOVE butterbeer! we made a whole bunch for our Harry Potter marathon before the release of the last film.

i have yet to go to Wizarding world since I'm stuck in Texas, but one day..I will!

 
Not Just A Food Blog © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters